Thursday, March 17, 2011

Food in the USA

Hi all,

I seem to have one avid follower - J from Knowheresville, Sydney Australia.  J writes "whats the food like in the USA?"  I've travelled through 7 USA states so far, played 15 softball games, beaten two teams in the top 20, been to Pearl Harbour, SURVIVED a tsunami and he wants to know about the food here!

O.K J.  The food is really quite unhealthy to be honest. I am actually quite struggling to eat well.  Which is to say that those who don't have to watch their food would most likely be O.K but for someone who has to eat low GI, it is quite hard.  Especially when traveling.  I have tried my best to eat the best I can however two salads I have ordered, as healthy as they appeared, had taco strips in amongst the salad.  I ate it.  The best healthy option the majority of the time is salad.

Most resturants will substitute a salad for the fries, however some, like today at lunch, wouldn't.  Pastas are the other healthy choice as it turns out.  I expect most in Australia would have the opinion that meals here are served large and I would say for the most part they are.  I find myself asking if the salads are large and WOW yes they are.  Ever had a salad you didn't think you'd be able to finish?

And here's a strange one.  When you go to Subway, in Australia or the USA, you can order a 6inch or a footlong.  I am telling you right now, a foot, in the old scale, is apparently longer in the USA than Australia...yet we pay so much more at home than here in the USA.  Everything is cheaper here.  It is difficult to see how things have such disparity between the two countries.  Ridiculous actually.

But, I will say out here in Hawaii, prices are in fact closer to what we would find in Australia.  I don't blink, however my USA team mates almost fall off of their chairs!!!!  E.g., we hit an Outback Steak House in Florida, you know full dinner with steak etc, it was less than $400 for 21 people.  We hit an Ihop here in Honolulu and it cost $500 for breakfast!!!!!  Coach lost her chewy over that ha ha.

However we did go to a Luau last night which was amazing.  Traditional Hawaiian singing and dancing, pork cooked in the ground, fire stick, traditional stories etc.  It was fun, particularly the Hula girls!  A couple of our girls got to dance with some of the blokes and let me tell you, I almost feel less of a man for seeing them with their shirts off!  And the back drop to all of this was a traditional, fair dinkum Hawaiian sunset.  I have photos which I will post however have not had time to download them from my camera as yet.

I must go now as my internet will run out shortly.  I am waiting for my flight back to Virginia and it has been delayed 3 hours, nothing new about that with the USA airline industry.

I hope that somewhat settles your curiosity J :-)

Speak soon

D

1 comment:

  1. About bloody time! Cheers mate. Who would have thought a WA boy would get so far in life hey??

    I look forward to the pics... if they don't include at least SOME hula girls in trad grass skirts, well, don't even bother posting 'em then!!!!!!

    Only kidding. Sounds like you are having a hoot. One could almost say it was Mintoks.

    ed

    ReplyDelete