Friday, April 15, 2011

Thursday 14 April 2011


Hi all,

Well as I write I am sitting on a big luxury bus headed for Washington DC where we will play a double header against Georgetown University, our make up game from Tuesday.  As I ride in the bus I am looking out the window to the beautiful countryside of Virginia and listening to John Denver’s Sunshine on my shoulder. – Another beautiful part of the USA.

For those who may not know Virginia was the heartland of the southern/ confederate forces in the USA Civil War, which incidentally began 150 years ago on Tuesday 12 April 1861 when the first shots were fired.  My understanding is that the war ended close to his date some years later in a small town near Farmville called Appomattox, which is also the name of the street in which I currently reside here in the USA.  The surrender by the south was signed in the Appomattox Court House.  There will be a recreation of the armistice this Saturday the 16th where actors will depict the southern soldiers bringing their weapons to the courthouse to be burned.  I am hoping to go.

Looking at the countryside, I am amazed at how this war must have been fought.  In movies depicting the war, we often see the battles undertaken in open fields and farmland.  When you drive through Virginia, you can understand why when you see how thick the bushland is here, or what it more likely referred to as forest.  It would have been difficult to conduct a war in such terrain in those days with that technology, whereas today it would be the preferred terrain.

We have arrived so off to the games.

Back in the bus now and on the way home.  Its 2214hrs.  So far on the ride back we have driven past, the Pentagon, the US Marines Memorial (the big one from Iwo Gima where the Marines are placing the US flag into the ground), driven over the Potomac River and past Arlington Cemetery.  In the distance I could also see the National Monument, The Capitol Building and the Washington Monument.  All fairly spectacular in their own right, I was the only one looking out the window!  Softball coach, son, friend, brother, tourist J

So a 50/50 day.  We lost the first game 3-2 in 8 innings.  We did not switch on early and only decided to bring the energy and intensity in about the 4th inning when we finally got on the board.  Their team played a pretty good game to be honest, which we were to find out later was one of their best for the year.  But in between games, coach gave one of her ‘inspirational’ speeches which even made me fear for my life, I mean want to play well, and the girls came out better prepared the second game.  We won 8-2.

After a loss like our first game, it is easy to want to look around and find reasons why.  Sometimes I believe this can be a futile exercise.  Sometimes you just get beaten, sometimes you leave you’re A game on the bus, sometimes you just keep waiting for it to happen instead of making it happen.  When we have off games, this is what it feels like to me.  We each look at each other waiting for her or her to do something, instead of me doing something whether she does or not.  Like they say in footy, when its your turn to go, you go and if everyone goes when its their turn, then you have probably had one of those games where you have left everything on the field.

If you looked at the two games you would say that the only two things that changed from one game to the next was their pitcher and our intensity!  We can’t control who they throw at us, but we can control our intensity.  It is a lesson we keep learning and a line I keep throwing at them.

Had some pizza for dinner before leaving Washington which was very naughty, however I would trade it for everything to only get one more Italian Waterice which I found in Norfolk last night.  Rita’s Waterice is a Philadelphia must have and whilst up there during my playing days would get as often as I could.  Now before you people remind me of my insulin resistance, let me tell you that the flavour I chose last night was both sugar and fat FREE!!!

And before I go, I want to respond to J from Sydney.  He wanted to assure me there were more sports played in Australia than just AFL.  Well J, it is in fact the only sport we have that is not played in any other country with any where near the ability that we Australian’s have.  But rest assured, I have given some credence to cricket, netball, rugby league and union in my presentation.  The point was to speak on sports played elsewhere in the world but not the USA, with a particular attention to sports that are highly popular in Australia.  I have also spoken about the differences in sporting culture between the two countries.  One such difference that in the USA, it is WIN WIN WIN at all costs.  Whereas in Australia we like to win but the party afterwards is almost as important, as well as playing for participation and to have fun.  Thanks for that comment and I would like to remind you that my obsession with AFL is yet to have totally interfered with the rest of my life J

Next game will be at Virginia Tech, on Tuesday 19 April.

And the drive down Interstate 95 South continues.

D

                   This first picture is of the field at Norfolk State University


              Score board of the softball field on the right and Football field in the background


This is a shot from the dugout on the field on which Georgetown plays.  Our girls are praticing on the right.  Just to the right of the scoreboard is a dog park and it was fun to see about 20 dogs playing together int he park.  I am not sure what the building is but it appears to be a restoration.  An absolutely beautiful building.


                              A picture of Georgetown's field looking from the outfield.


No comments:

Post a Comment